Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pioneer Trek - part 3 (Saturday)

I forgot to include this picture in part 2. This picture was taken at the top of the hill where the burial was taking place. While the youth were listening to that story, they were able to look out into the vast desert. The couple that buried their baby made many comments about having to travel many more miles and not knowing where they would end up. The youth only had to travel 5 1/2 miles round trip but the pioneers traveled thousands without knowing exactly where they we going. They saw scenes like this time and time again.
Couldn't resist this picture. On the left is Greg Lundeen (Stake YM Pres.), my dad in the middle and President Spencer. He is the 2nd counselor in the Stake Presidency. Both men are from my fathers ward.
Once the trek was over and the youth were back at camp, the water fights began! Kelsey and Hannah couldn't resist soaking eachother!
Chris was so proud of Kelsey. It took a lot of teamwork to accomplish what she did. Not only was the terrain rocking but they also trekked through sand.
O.K. so I cheated! Since I was taking pictures of the youth, I had to be in many places at the same time. It was too hard to do that while pulling or pushing a handcart. So I got creative! This was my modern day handcart with my personal chauffer, President Spencer.
One of the final vignettes on their way back to camp was listening to the story of B.H. Roberts. Bro. Schiller from Parkview Ward sure did ham it up! He shared experiences of being a rowdy 10 year old boy who crossed the plains with another company and his sister. His mother was in a company hundreds of miles in front of them. He got into so much trouble along the way. He had encounters with Indians, getting swept away in a river and much, much more! The kids really enjoyed his story!
Back at camp, it was dinnertime. One assignment the youth had prior to the trek was to make hand carved wooded spoons to eat with. Doesn't Kelsey's look great!
A delicious dinner was awaiting us! Chicken and biscuits along with....
four different types of cobbler! Berry cobbler...my favorite!
Before the trek ended, we passed out small sacks of flour. Each consisted of 4 ounces to represent the rations that some companies had to survive on daily. This really put things into perpsective for our youth. During testimony meeting, we had several youth express their gratitude for what they have and what they just experienced. All in all, it was a great experience!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, Loma! What an amazing experience for all who attended! I am jealous I didn't get to be a part of it!

Rays-R-Us said...

Loma,
Thanks for helping put this all together. Fischer had a good time and I'm glad he got to go. Thank you for taking pictures!!! It's neat to see some of what they went through.
Love,
Shelly